Of all of the components in the home that make modern life a convenient possibility, electricity is one that is probably the most highly regarded. Even though most homeowners understand the dangers that can be associated with shoddy electrical work, sometimes logic gets left in the dust and people make mistakes. As a homeowner, you may be tempted to do all kinds of things you already know are not completely safe in the house. When it comes to electricity, there are three simple mistakes you may catch yourself doing occasionally, but that definitely should be avoided.
Not Tending to Cluttered Cords and Wiring
With the television, cell phone charger, DVD player, and game console all needing electricity in basically the same place, there is a pretty good chance that all those wires and cords in your entertainment center do not stay all that organized. While you may think if these cords are connected and tucked out of sight they are fine, this can actually be a safety hazard. The bundled, messy wires can wear down faster because they are constantly rubbing against one another or generating heat during operation. Therefore, it is well worth the time to make sure your overly wired areas are well-organized and separated.
Swapping Out Bulbs with the Wrong Wattage
It is a common act for a homeowner to see a blown bulb in one area of the house and grab another from a different outlet for exchange. While this is fine if the outlets have the same wattage rating, placing a high wattage bulb, such as a 100 watt, in a fixture that only calls for a 20 watt could actually be a fire hazard. These ratings are developed by the manufacturers of light fixtures according to the heat deflecting capacity of its components. Therefore, a hot bulb in a low-wattage recommending fixture could cause damage to the fixture and lead to a fire.
Mistaking Interchangeability of Indoor and Outdoor Lighting
That gorgeous strand of LED lights you used indoors at your wedding may make a fascinating addition to your outdoor holiday decor, but unless this electrical item is rated for both indoor and outdoor use, it is best left packed up in the closet. The difference between indoor and outdoor lighting is simple: Indoor lights are not designed to repel moisture and outdoor lights are. Therefore, interchanging these lights can easily lead to an electrical safety hazard.
The next time you catch yourself reaching for the wrong bulb or attempting any other questionable act when it comes to electricity, make sure you remember just how vulnerable your home can be if electrical guidelines are not followed. While you can always call on an electrician such as Crown Electric Ltd for help, safe practices are always best.