If you've been shopping for a new roof recently, it's very probable that you're overwhelmed by the sheer number of roofing materials on the market today. One of the more traditional choices, but still a good one, is Canadian red cedar. This type of roofing offers a myriad of advantages.
Benefits of a cedar roof
1. Cedar is naturally bug-resistant. Cedar has natural insect-repelling properties. That's why you see cedar chests and cedar closets. When you opt for a cedar roof, you don't have to worry about termites or other damaging bugs invading your roof.
2. Cedar gives your home a unique, natural beauty. Cedar shake creates a unique, one-of-a-kind look for each home, since no two trees are alike. This type of roofing material starts out as a honey color and ages to a grey patina after a few years. Both are beautiful.
3. Cedar helps your home be more energy-efficient. Cedar helps to hold in the warmth during the cold weather season. In the summer, it doesn't absorb the heat of the sun like an asphalt shingle roof can. Both properties help your heating and cooling systems from having to work any harder than necessary, helping you to save energy and energy dollars.
4. Cedar roofing is durable. Unlike a typical asphalt shingle roof which will only last for 15 years or so, the average cedar shake roof, properly installed, will last for up to 50 years. It's not an exaggeration to say that this type of roof is the last roof you'll ever have to buy.
5. Cedar shake stands up to severe storms. Because each shingle is nailed individually into place and because cedar shingles are much heavier than asphalt shingles, they perform much better in severe storms than most other roofing materials.
6. A cedar shake roof will help to increase your property value. Not only does a lovely cedar shake roof add to your curb appeal, but this type of roof's energy-efficient and durability will likely add to the resale value of your home. Potential buyers will appreciate the fact that they won't have to invest in a new roof anytime soon.
7. Cedar shake weighs less than many other roofing materials. Cedar is lighter than other roofing materials, such as metal or slate. That means you won't have to add extra support beams when you opt for a cedar roof.
While a cedar roof may not be the right choice for every homeowner, this type of roof is durable, energy-efficient and will give your home a warm, unique beauty. It certainly warrants consideration.